Thursday, June 6, 2013

Fire-Eater Sketch

How do you eat fire without singeing your mustache?

I barely blog at all anymore. Which I would love to say is because I've been busy firing brilliance onto canvases but I'm afraid it's the opposite. This year I haven't been posting much because I haven't been doing many finished pieces in my free-time. The most frustrating thing about it is I'm not really sure why.
I've started a lot of them. Trust me, there are probably 20 projects that are started but a fairly busy schedule has kept me from going back and finishing them up. Also, posting finished pieces online is somehow strangely difficult for me to do. Which is, of course, ridiculous. It's just a few clicks and writing a hilarious fart joke under the image. I'm sure there are a lot of excuses for what I've been doing instead of focusing on/posting artwork, but excuses are just excuses and they are UNACCEPTABLE!

Anyway, this lil sketch is hopefully a step in the right direction. Cracking my knuckles, knocking the cobwebs from my stylus and producing (and maybe actually posting) some new artwork. I'm making a genuine effort to get back in the game. I hope to see you all back here soon. I promise to bring fresh goodies and hopefully some less self-consumed ramblings.
You feel free to bring some oreos.

3 comments:

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

I think I can relate to you on this one. Its easy, even exciting to start a new project, but finishing it can be a challenge.

Dave Armstrong said...

Exactly, Eric! It's one thing with freelance or something that has a clear end-point. A due date and a paycheck can absolutely help you push through and keep focused.
When you're just experimenting for personal projects, sometimes it's hard to keep your interest on a piece and see it through to the end.

Erik Johnson Illustrator said...

At last! A Kindred Spirit! You hit it dead center, I have plenty of sketchy ideas that I started to take to a final but kinda gave up on, but last Christmas when I was working on a project for a contest with a deadline, you couldn't drag me away from my desk with all the jones I had pumping through me. I was excited and taking all kinds of chances to embellish and experiment. Then it was over.

Ebbs and Flows I tell ya.